Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Day Trip to Colmar, France

>>> Hello Little Venice <<<

Thanks for this photo, Ana
This week I'm finally beginning classes. I've only been to one class, Cases in International Marketing, but I really enjoyed the first day! I'm actually super excited to be starting my courses because I've been feeling super overwhelmed by the lack of routine in my life. Chaos and I only mesh well for about a week at a time, and we're pushing close to a month. On Monday, however, my Portuguese friends and I had a final day off, so we hopped on a train to visit Colmar, France. Colmar is about 70km south of Strasbourg, so it was a 30-minute train ride both ways...

Colmar's well-known for the aesthetic appeal of its system of canals known as "la Petit Venise" or Little Venice. It's very similar to Strasbourg's region 'Petit France'. Colmar is also considered to be the capital of the Alsatian Wine Route, although I didn't explore that claim. We had a wonderful time sightseeing through the streets, and I was especially impressed by the number of beautiful churches littered across the small town. I'm noticing that the long history of these French cities and towns provides they have many architectural elements that are just completely unparalleled by American towns, and I'm loving my exposure to so much beauty. 

My friends deserve an extra 'thank you' for making this day so much fun. We started the day paying an extra 10 euros each because the ticket printing machine at Strasbourg's train station wasn't working properly, and we just ran onto the train because we would miss it if we stopped to asked for help. Naively, we assumed that a receipt that said we had been charged would be enough proof of payment for the trip, but we were wrong. We were definitely frustrated to waste our money in that way, but we just went to the market for lunch instead of eating at a restaurant to make up for our error and let it go. In the big scheme of costly mistakes we could have made, this can be a drop in the bucket... We'll think twice next time.

Here are a few pictures from our fun day! 

Special thanks to Tomás for putting up with us girls all day.



This is an image of 'la Petit Venise'




This weekend the Portuguese girls and I are heading to Luxembourg for a short trip, so expect more beautiful scenic pictures soon! We found a nice Airbnb for all four of us for 12 euros a night each, and we decided we'll take a train both ways. I'm also pumped for this weekend because the 88 degree weather is finally going to subside, and it should be more comfortable in the 60-70's as we explore Luxembourg. (Sidenote: French people don't believe in AC, and I've been melting for the past week.) 


Thanks again for following along!
 Love, Jules 
"Wander with wonder and the whole world becomes home"-Tyler Knott Gregson 


P.S. Super proud of my Falcons for the 27-26 win over North Dakota in the Home Opener this weekend. Ay Ziggy! 

P.S.S. My friends here think "Ay Ziggy Zoomba" is the most bizarre dance/cheer/chant/whatever it is ever, and I'm thinking they might be right

No comments:

Post a Comment